My 2011 Study Tour

MY 2011 STUDY TOUR:
I am a young stud Angus breeder from "Hollywood Angus Stud", Peak Hill, NSW. I was awarded the Matthew George Young Stockman Award for 2010 at the Royal Melbourne Show. In April, I will be heading to Mexico and Canada for a four month study tour to get an overview of the beef cattle industries in these countries. I will be visiting a range of enterprises, including major shows, stud and commercial operations, and feedlots. I wish to thank the Ballarat Foundation for the opportunity to live my dream, and hope to share my experiences via this blog.

"LIVE YOUR DREAM"

"LIVE YOUR DREAM": THE MATTHEW GEORGE YOUNG STOCKMAN AWARD
The Matthew George Young Stockman Award was established as a sub-fund of the Ballarat Foundation in honour of Matthew George of Stockyard Hill, who was tragically taken in a car accident in 2007 at 21 years of age. Matthew had an absolute love of animals together with a thirst for knowledge and a passion for breeding. This annual award provides a young breeder aged 18 to 25 years with the opportunity to live Matthew's dream, and travel overseas to become an ambassador for the beef industry and study other beef cattle breeding programs and developments.
APPLY NOW FOR THE MATTHEW GEORGE AWARD 2011: Applications are now open for this year's Matthew George Young Stockman Award. This is an amazing award for anyone who wants to learn more about the beef industry. If you're aged 18-25, make sure you apply - the opportunities it opens up are just incredible! For application details, go to www.ballaratfoundation.org.au click on 'sub funds' & then 'matthew george award'. Applications close 30 June.

Saturday 27 August 2011

FINAL BLOG -THANK YOU, MGA

The Matthew George Young Stockman Award offers young breeders a chance to “live your dream”.  In my case, it turned out to be so much more than I could have ever dreamed! I spent an incredible four months in Mexico and Canada where I was able to get a broad overview of beef production, from purebred seedstock genetics and production, to  commercial production, right through to feedlotting and branded beef marketing. I had the opportunity to see different livestock and pasture management systems and learn about their agriculture in general. I’ve met so many wonderful people and made a wealth of contacts. Above all, this study tour has broadened my perspectives – it’s made the world seem smaller and the possibilities within in it greater.

I want to thank the Ballarat Foundation, in particular to David & Lorraine George for their support;  Noel Trengrove for his assistance; and all those in the beef industry who contributed to the Foundation and made this award possible. On 30th September, I will be attending the Melbourne Royal Show for the announcement of this year’s Matthew George Young Stockman Award and to give a presentation on my study tour.

Below is a quick recap of my study tour. I would like to say a HUGE thank you to all those listed below – plus so many more - whom I stayed with, who toured me around, who shared their time, knowledge & expertise with me. Without your hospitality, help and support, I never would have been able to see and learn so much.







Also, thank you to the readers of my blog!! It’s been great to share my trip with you.
Thanks, & bye … Rach













MEXICO:  I spent a month in Mexico, staying with Mezquite Genetics at Tepatitlan in Jalisco, who breed red & black Angus & Charolais. I attended a major livestock show, Expo Ganadera, for two weeks where I helped with fitting and showing, and toured a variety of ranches. I gained a good overview of their beef industry as well as many other aspects of their agriculture, plus it was incredible to experience Mexican hospitality and culture.

REMINGTON RANCH (Sthn Alberta):  Purebred red & black Angus and Simmentals, SimAngus crosses & commercial herd.  I got to take part in their general ranch operations for a month, riding pastures, breeding cows & even attended  a big Canadian ‘branding day’ at a neighbouring ranch. My last week there was spent helping on the clipping team getting ready for their stud dispersal sale in October.

PEAK DOT RANCH (Saskatchewan): Purebred Angus. I had an opportunity to see their embryo and AI program, talk about Angus genetics, and learn about the partnerships they operate with breeders & Hillcrest Enterprises (feedlot).

SIX MILE RED ANGUS (Saskatchewan): Purebred Red & Black Angus. Their Red Angus genetics are being used in Australia and I was given a tour of their breeding herd.

JYF LIMOUSINS (Saskatchewan):  I toured their sale barn & looked at their yard design.

CANADIAN BEEF BREEDS COUNCIL (Calgary): I visited the CBBC office to talk about the Canadian cattle industry & learn about the role CBBC plays.

CALGARY STAMPEDE: I had 2 days at the Stampede where I watched the judging of the Steer Competition & toured the stud cattle displays.

OLE FARMS (Athabasca): Purebred Black & Red Angus, commercial herd, cropping & feedlot. I toured the ranch, looking at their cattle and talking about their range of operations.

HIGHLAND FEEDERS & BIO REFINERY (Vegreville):  I spent two days at Highland Feeders, one of Canada’s largest feedlot operations. I was also able to visit their integrated bio refinery, the first of its kind in Canada, and tour Spring Creek Ranch where they raise premium beef without hormones or antibiotics for their branded beef line.

LEWIS FARMS (Spruce Grove): Purebred Simmental & Angus, seed potatoes & grain. I had a chance to tour both their farms & look at their genetics, plus I was able to attend Vermilion Fair with them and take part in a Jackpot heifer show.

SPRING CREEK BEEF (Edmonton): I visited the Spring Creek Beef Office in Edmonton and got to talk about the Spring Creek brand and how it’s run; also looked at the marketed product in-store & attended a beef promotion.

MILLER WILSON ANGUS (DMM) (Bashaw): Purebred Black Angus. I helped DMM show their cattle at Agribition in Regina last November, so this was a chance to catch up again & look at their herd and talk Angus genetics.

HAMILTON FARMS (Calgary): Purebred Black Angus, hay & cropping. Toured their ranch and got to see their Angus herd and help out with hay making.

QUARTER CIRCLE X RANCH (Calgary): Beefbooster (hybrid bulls) production. My home base in Canada! I got to experience many wonderful things while staying here, including learning about their Beefbooster breeding program, taking part in general ranch operations, participating in ‘branding’, hay making, & trailing their cows to summer pastures in the Rockies.